Back to the Writing Board?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let me just preface this by telling you how much I love to write.  For years, if I had an essay to write and reading to do, and I was crunched for time, the essay always came first.  This wasn't because the essay weighed more as far as the grade, but I've just always loved formulating my million-mile-an-hour thoughts into some intricate form of nouns, adjectives, conjunctions, etc.

Essays were always my strength when it came to AP testing, no matter the subject.  When everyone whined about another timed essay, I had my pen ready with anticipation to roll across that page.  The thing is I was ready to roll because I knew what was expected of me; I knew what sort of format or argumentation was being asked of me.  As soon as I was told the topic, I almost instantaneously would start composing the catchy first sentence of my assignment.

I'm telling you all of this not to boast or to go writing-lover-crazy on you.  I am simply telling you this to make you understand that I am no stranger to writing an essay.  Yet with this first paper for my writing class, I have had the hardest time.  I think the main reason has to do with the fact that this was basically the first time I had completely free range as to what topic I was going to write about and what format I was going to write that topic in.  This completely threw me off, to say the least.  I basically just started writing something similar to a blog post, because my professor mentioned that there was really no completely formal road I needed to take.  She just stressed the point of connecting with your audience, which I took to heart.

I knew it wasn't a masterpiece when I brought it to the writing center to be critiqued.  I knew what needed to be improved and what wasn't completely working; I just needed help deciding how to tweak those little flaws.  Little did I know destruction of my very soul would ensue.  Maybe that's a tad dramatic, but you must understand my connection to everything I write.

I really detest the thought of showing anyone of any relation to me any writing project of mine. My stomach twists at the thought of them not understanding the way I wanted them to react to something (especially when they don't get the satire or the obvious pun; that just kills me to an ugly death).  The fact that I even went to the writing center was an extraordinary feat in and of itself.  I walked in at its opening time and put my name on the list.  I did not walk out and I did not flinch when my name was called, but I did feel about as big as a grain of sand when my time was up and I I actually had to walk out.  I know it was all constructive and it did help, but man did it take me a long time to be comforted by that fact.

In other news, I got a very satisfying grade on my Doctrine and Covenants quiz today, and I met some more people.  The day did end up turning out pretty great after my little run-in with the destroyers of all things I love (*cough*).  I even motivated myself to find the gym and hit the treadmill for a bit.  I am ahead on my homework, and I'm probably going to go get a dose of Marty McFly and Doc with my roommate and some of her friends.  In case you didn't hear, it's Back to the Future day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut