The College Life

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I was planning on doing this some time over the weekend, but I'm trying to start this paper and I can't seem to get into the writing groove.  So, what better way to cure that funk than writing a blog post?

This week can definitely qualify as one of the greatest of my life.  NSO (New Student Orientation) was a blast and I met some awesome people there.  I also got to see Divine Comedy perform, which was hilarious without exaggeration, and I got to participate in a dating game.  I did not make it through to the final round, but I participated nonetheless, and that was pretty fun.

My classes are fantastic in every sense of the word.  Right now I'm taking First-Year Writing, Doctrine and Covenants Section 77 through Official Declaration 2, and The Living Prophets.  I'm loving each and everyone of them.  It's so awesome to go from being the only LDS person in my school to being at a school full of them, where we start class with a prayer and talk about the relationship between spiritual and secular things.  It's just everything I've ever wanted, and I am just so freaking happy.  It's ridiculous.

My ward is really cool, too.  My bishop, his wife, and his counselors are all super nice.  I have, however, been asked to give a talk this Sunday.  I guess it had to happen eventually.  My ward is also hiking up to the Y on Saturday morning, which I'm both excited and terrified of.  Excited because hiking is awesome and you can do an actual hike here unlike in Florida.  Terrified because I'm pretty sure this altitude and dryness is going to kill me.  I have had to walk up a hill everyday to get to my classes, so hopefully that's conditioned me enough.  That's definitely one of those things I'll be using to reprimand my children with when they start complaining about school -- "I had to walk uphill everyday in the snow (well, not yet) to get to my classes!  Don't you complain to me about schoolin', sonny!"  It should also be noted that the picture I was trying to paint there included a Jazmin with a walker and no teeth.

On top of the debate as to whether or not the hike will kill me, I'm not sure what to do about photographing the event.  I'd really like to test out my Canon 60D, but I'm terrified my klutzy self will drop it and send its very expensive self rolling down a mountain.  I'll probably end up just taking my Cybershot, which is still nice and can take some awesome pictures. ANYWAYS, I won't bore you with that.  I need to get back to writing about arts and sports at BYU.  Wish me luck:/.

6 comments:

  1. !!! We should have lunch together sometime or something so I can get caught up on your life. And don't stress about the Y-hike; just take your time and some water and you'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma Lewwwcy! YES. I thought you were out of town for Sam's graduation/wedding?

      Delete
  2. Neither David nor I ever hiked to the Y the whole time either of us lived in Provo. Serious regrets. I'm glad you're ticking that one off early on. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I would have thought that was like an initiation thing here or something the way people talk about it. Haha.

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut