Y Chromosomes and DQ

Thursday, July 19, 2012

So, I just successfully cleaned my room thoroughly for cleaning checks tonight.  Not only did I successfully complete this task five hours earlier than I expected, I also only locked myself out of my room once.  In my world, that's a sign of a good day.*

I know I said I'd write about the rest of my awesome-tastic weekend yesterday, but I need to get some work done before that infinity long post.  As a little taste of my BYU experience as of late, though, I guess I could tell you about my yesterday evening.

I was putting off doing homework like no other and I was feeling a tad bummed about certain things that will remain between my journal and me...and probably my mom since I tend to tell her everything.  I just planned on laying low and cuddling up to my book** and doing laundry that desperately needed to be done.  On my way down to the basement*** laundry room, I ran into Carolyn (my fall roommate), Vicki (Carolyn's summer roommate), a few other girls from my floor, and my RA. Judging by the giggles, the copious amounts of blushing, and the consistent use of the pronoun "he", they were obviously talking some serious girl talk.  I just passed by because judging by the bits and pieces of the conversation that I heard, it sounded like a level of boy crazy was going on that I don't really care to engage in.****

After stuffing my clothes in the drier and heading back to my room, the same group of gals were now sitting in the hallway looking like they were ready to embark on some adventure.  One of these lovely gals, Micaela invited me to tag along.  The adventure entailed Dairy Queen and oh, was I excited.  I've only had ice cream once since being in Utah and I haven't had Dairy Queen-level ice cream since weeks before I left Florida.

We made the little walk to that beautiful haven and it was just what my sore day needed.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was having a bad day, so it was nice to just let go of it all with other people having equally crappy days.

I don't understand why it is physically impossible for me to take a normal picture.

Our walk back included almost getting run over by a car that sped through a red light, and dancing like completely wonderful idiots to Micaela's ipod.  It was exactly what I needed.

I ended up getting back and having to do another cycle of my clothes in the drier, but that allowed me studying time.  I didn't get to bed until about 1AM, but it was so worth it.
__________________________________________

*Not that I'm constantly locking myself out of my room, but with my luck, it probably should have happened at least two more times as I made my travels to the cleaning supplies closet.

**I finished The Princess Bride!  Well, I actually finished it just before my 1pm class, but I was reading the extra stuff at the end about Buttercup's Baby while performing my even procrastination ritual.

***It's still super weird for me to say the word basement.  It's such a foreign concept to my Floridian mind.  I still think of them as something mythical like Mordor or Narnia.  Okay, maybe not Narnia.  We all know that's real.

****Not that there's anything wrong with girls that are boy crazy.  It's just never really been something I cared too much for.  Since being at BYU, though, it seems that's how girls here bond.  So, I've been somewhat more boy crazy than I like to admit, but on this particular night I was not feeling up to the energy required to giggle and scream about those who possess Y chromosomes.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. I actually enjoy going back to my BYU days as I read this. It's weird. I was so ready to leave, but it's definitely great to look back on and understand exactly what you mean =) I tried to stay away from the boy craziness. I tried =) Do as much as you can. That's the only thing I regret, not doing more. Not meeting more people. Not being more involved. There's so much more available if you make a little effort. There are a lot of "perfect" people there, but just love them any way and care less about being perfect. I don't know why I'm telling you this; I just wish I had realized it sooner =) Just make good memories. It's okay to be a freshman and then it's okay to be a sophomore and make fun of freshman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Kayla! That was kind of awesome. I'm really trying to do more than I would normally think to do here. I'm really trying not to isolate myself into my little bubble. Those times when I've debated about going out or staying in, I've never regretted choosing to go out. Thanks for the awesome advice:).

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut