My Brother's Keeper

Thursday, March 19, 2015

As human beings, there's always more for us to do. And I mean that in the best way. Sure, there's more homework, more cleaning, more priorities as life goes on. But that means there's always more knowledge at our fingertips, more of making home a heaven on earth, more chances to grow and to help others do the same.

Lately, I've been trying to find my more. I kind of hit a plateau in my spiritual growth and I have just been praying for the Lord to reveal to me what it is I need to do to help myself and my testimony continue going up the mountain that will lead back to Him. He's revealed to me little things here and there that I need to work on, but He has recently been stressing the promise I made at baptism to help "bear [others'] burdens, that they may be light (Mosiah 18:8)."

I ran across the scripture below during my scripture study yesterday morning and the Lord has not let me forget it since:

 And again Alma commanded that the people of the church should impart of their substance, every one according to that which he had; if he have more abundantly he should impart more abundantly; and of him that had but little, but little should be required; and to him that had not should be given.

And thus they should impart of their substance of their own free will and good desires towards God . . . yea, and to every needy, naked soul. - Mosiah 18:27-28

It struck me so fiercely when I read it, I had to stop for a second to take it in. Maybe it's just a simple commandment, but it's such an essential part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I may be a poor student scrounging for money for groceries, but some people never had the opportunity to be any kind of student (poor or not) and some have nowhere to scrounge for money except the city sidewalks. I am not rich by any means, but I have been luckier than many, and I have no right to selfishness when there is something, anything I can give to another in need.

Whether it be to the poor in spirit or to the poor as pertaining to the things of the world, I know I could do better to help them.

The Lord asks us in the church to give ten percent of our income to His church; He also asks us to fast for two meals once a month and give the money we would have spent on food to the church to give to the poor and needy. It's not a large sum to give. It's small compared to all that we do have and all that we are given through such acts of faith. It's ten percent of our income (plus a little for fasting) but it's an act that requires one-hundred percent of our hearts. The gospel of Jesus Christ requires us to give one-hundred percent of our love and devotion to the Lord through our love and devotion toward those around us, toward our brothers and sisters, whether that be through tithe and fast offerings, or just in our every day lives.

Although I may not be my brother's keeper, I am my brother's brother, and "because I have been given much, I too must give." - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

And so I'm going to try to give more because I have been given so, so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut