The Land of Victoria

Friday, July 17, 2015

I wish I could apologize for my lack of blogging during my time here in London, but I'm not sure it would be as sincere as it should be. Sure, I feel bad about telling so many people that I would take them on my adventure via this blog, but I've kind of enjoyed having this adventure as my little lovely secret.

But as my time in London is drawing to an end (ONLY FOUR MORE DAYS LEFT, WHAT?), the guilt of leaving everyone out of the fun has crept up into my conscience.

After my beautiful Sunday experience in Wales, we made the long drive to London and have been staying at an awesome flat for the past three weeks.

I've spent three or four days every week in class for four hours learning about the history and variety of the English language. After class, we usually have a "site visit" where we go out into the various parts of the city and explore some incredible place with an incredible history that has something to do with how the incredible language of English came to be.

While the tours have been such an incredible blessing, the museums and cathedrals have all (unfortunately) started to look the same to me. That sounds so spoiled and ignorant, but there it is. My favorite part of our days is when we are able to explore the cities however we wish. Whether that be exploring Hyde Park or traveling half an hour to go to that pub we discovered that one time to see if Dan (a bartender that works there) is working today.

I've always considered myself one to shy away from the city life, but I think I could get used to London. Maybe I'd live just outside it in the countryside, but living in the heart of it hasn't been so bad these past few weeks. If the future brought me back here, I think that would be quite alright by me. It just has an awesome energy about it; not in the usual frenzied sense of the word, but something different altogether. The people are so nice everywhere I go; the culture is so rich; the communities are so vastly diverse; the food is actual incredibly delicious. I'm not sure there's much that I don't like about this little island.
I studied "Dream of the Rood" my sophomore year at BYU, so it was
 pretty neat to see this thing in the flesh (a cast of the rood that the poem is about).
British Museum

Makes the top 3 favorites of this trip for this history nerd. 
Obligatory trip to Buckingham after the War Rooms tour since it was so close.

Battle Abbey
Canterbury; another favorite.
Inside Canterbury; I was so in awe of how beautiful it was and the hallowed feeling of it.
Kensington Palace; just down the road from where we're staying.
Tower of London is apparently several towers.

Westminster Abbey; I freaked out as we ended the tour in Poets' Corner. 
View from the London Eye
We saw "As You Like It" at the Globe Theatre, nbd.
Hampton Court Palace Gardens
Inside Hampton Court Palace
We took a tour through Benjamin Franklin's only surviving home.

While the States are great and all, I think I'm okay staying here a little while longer. We'll see how these next four days go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut