An Intro to August

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I like to think I'm a creative person.

I have been planning my birthday parties since I was about four (with a different theme every year).  Almost everyday when I was little I created costumes out of anything and everything I could find in my bedroom (and maybe I still do).  I devour the Pinterest boards and random blogs that I follow that have allowed me to create my future home (which will be bursting with color and quaint knick knacks).  I sometimes make videos for the internet that take a lot of time and an even greater amount of thought (despite the fact that they may prove otherwise).

I have actually chosen to make creativity my business (literally).

I am an English major, but oh, how I neglect my writing time.

I don't write nearly as much as I wish I did.  I created this blog and so many others before it to fix this problem, but life gets in the way or that creativity that I think is flowing through my veins at a million miles a minute just runs dry.  Maybe it's just because I'm too lazy to do the countless edits that I want to do to every post.  Maybe it's the fact that sometimes I just don't think I'm a very good writer.

Whatever the excuse may be for all the times I have failed in the past, I am committing this time.  For the entire month of August I will be writing a letter every day.  The thought of writing letters is not as intimidating to me as writing posts.  Writing posts entails dreading whoever will read it and whatever they may think. It entails endlessly trying to think of little quips and metaphors that people will think I'm a genius for coming up with, when really I got half of the idea from something some amazing person in my life said.

I will be writing letters to August.  I will be treating the month as an entity itself -- an entity that is an old friend.  It will not be as scary for me as Blogging Every Day in August/April/October/Whenever.

I got this idea from watching this project unfold.

It's going to be a test for me and probably for anyone who reads these letters (sorry in advance), but for the love of Nutella it is going to happen.  Even when the creativity has run completely dry and I think there's not a drop left, I will hold tight until that drop drips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut