Peace in Loss

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I absolutely love to serve those around me.  I'm not sure that there is anything that makes me more happy than to find some way to help someone in need.  It is the greatest therapy.  While I am a-okay with being on the giving side of service, I'm always a little hesitant (and probably a little prideful) when I'm on the receiving end.  It's an obstacle that I have really been trying to overcome.  So, it is with that thought in mind that I am writing this blog post.

Last night my Aunt Chris (my dad's oldest sister) passed away.  It was the most surreal experience of my life.  I have had others who were close to me pass away throughout my life, but when I have had family members pass away I was too young to understand the gravity of the situation or even remember much of the experience at all.

Chris had been in the hospital on and off for a couple of months.  Yesterday morning it looked like things were looking up, but then she took a turn for the worst.  I am so grateful to have been so close to home for the summer, and that I felt prompted to ask my mom to come pick me up to take me to St. Augustine to be with my family.  It was an emotional night for all of us, but it was one where I felt so much peace in the knowledge that I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Phrases like "eternal families" and "His plan" were used without hesitation, and I felt so much comfort in that.

While I will miss my aunt's sweet heart and immense love, I know this is not the end for her.  I know Heavenly Father needs her now more than we do here.  I know we will meet again.

I am going to suck up my pride and just ask that you simply keep my family in your thoughts and prayers.

Chris had a tender, Christ-like love about her that it will be hard to be without for awhile, but it is a comfort to know that it is only for awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut