The Land of the Queen

Friday, June 26, 2015

I have always been a pretty confident traveler. I know certain airports like the back of my hand, and if I’m in a new one, it’s not a big deal. But for some reason, the klutzy side of me was in full force on this trip to England. I’m usually completely aware of my surroundings, but going to a foreign place threw me of somehow.

I managed to pour the majority of the contents of my water bottle on myself on my first flight; my second flight entailed me getting lost on the airplane after I (bravely) used the restroom; and I had a very attractive nosebleed at the beginning of my second flight (thank you, drastic climate/altitude changes).

After that grand journey of grace and poise and a long wait at customs (most terrifying experience of my life), getting lost in the Heathrow airport, taking an anxiety-riddled bus ride, and getting the wrong directions twice to our hotel, I made it to where I was meant to be. And I mean that in just about every way.

I just don’t understand how such a beautiful place is the norm for everyone here. I see Jane Austen’s and Charles Dickens’ novels etched in every street corner. The new is welded into the old with hip and happenin’ shops in buildings that pre-date any semblance of a hip or happenin’ by hundreds (and, in some cases, thousands) of years. It is so incredibly beautiful.

After finding the hotel, two of the girls I latched onto at the airport from my Study Abroad group and I had lunch at a cute little cafe on High Street (a famous street full of little shops and restaurants). I might have accidentally bought sparkling water and it was probably the strangest experience I’ve forced upon my tastebuds. Again, the fear of them kicking me out for lack of sophistication kicked in in that moment once more. (Like, how do you casually sell sparkling water?)

View from lunch at EAT.
After getting checked into our little hotel and meeting up with more people from our group, we headed on over to Windsor castle. We couldn’t take any pictures inside, but trust me when I tell you you have never seen anything quite like it. I’m not usually one for over-the-top decor, but man oh man was it beautiful in there.

St. George's Chapel in particular was just so breathtaking. You could just feel how sacred it was and the rich history bound in its walls brought reverence to it on top of the faith felt within its walls.

After exploring the Queen’s Crib, we were starving. So, we figured it was about time for the obligatory fish ’n chips meal.




After that we did some more exploring and found my new favorite shop in the world--Cath Kidston. Everything in this little boutique (which is apparently big all across England) was absolutely adorable from the items sold to the atmosphere of the store.



Once we were done coveting and souveniring, we made our way to Runnymede with the rest of our Study Abroad group. After a bit of walking across a few fields, we came to that beautiful pasture where the Magna Carta was signed. It felt like hallowed ground with how peaceful and beautiful it was.

On the walk to the Magna Carta Site


That night entailed going to sleep before the sun was even done setting--we were all exhausted and the next day entailed the most we would be doing in one day the entire trip, but that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut