Letters to August - 1 (August 11, 2015)

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dear August,

Sorry it's been so long. I mean, I expected a year between us, but I didn't expect an added eleven days. But can you ever really expect gypsies to steal your phone in Paris (or can you?), or your computer to decide to die completely just after you've enjoyed the peaceful surroundings of the Lake District?

But that's my life, I guess.

A lot has happened in this year we've been apart. I've been reflecting on that year in preparation to write to you, and I wish I could tell you it's been the best year of my life thus far, but that wouldn't exactly be true.

I've always tried to make the conscious effort not to dwell on the sad things life throws my way. But, for some reason, sadness itself was the thing that was thrown my way around the time I wrote to and stopped writing to you last year. I had this constant heaviness about me that I just couldn't seem to shake, even into the winter months. It irked me a lot, because I've always prided myself on being a relatively positive individual. I actually kind of hated that I couldn't get back to that state, to be honest, especially being such a control freak.

I'm happy to say those dark days are over, but that has nothing to do with me and everything to do with my Savior, Jesus Christ. He has lifted that burden and refined me in the process. I'm still not perfect by any means, but that's what mortality is for--learning to become as He is, trial by trial.

Once I was out of that tunnel, so many things continued to show me the Lord's hand in my life. The most recent being the opportunity I had to travel a part of the world that I thought I would never be able to. This summer found me in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales (and Paris for 36 hours, but that's another story). I still have a bit of sand from Inch Beach in my shoes and a lot of wonderful memories in my heart from those gorgeous countries.

I'm not sure how to explain it to you, but it just felt so right going on this study abroad.

I felt this strong impression during Winter semester that I needed to look for a study abroad, no matter the cost (literal and figurative). My usual sense of stress when it comes to things like this was basically nonexistent and I just felt so at peace getting ready for that adventure. And what an adventure it was.

I not only was able to see incredibly beautiful parts of the world, but I was able to meet some incredibly beautiful people along the way--both those from the countries we visited as well as the those I was traveling with. I also really grew to believe in myself more.

I mean, I'm a pretty confident person, but I'm not sure that anyone is ever one-hundred percent confident in all that they do. It's something I've been really trying to work on for awhile now, and this trip was such a huge remedy for that. Instead of thinking, Oh, you shouldn't/couldn't do that because (insert stupid reason here), I thought, Just do it. (Thanks, Nike.)

It was the perfect adventure for me and I am so grateful for it.

I am so incredibly blessed to have a Father in Heaven who knows me perfectly and loves me completely. He always knows exactly what I need, whether that be wonderful friends or crazy adventures on the other side of the world--or a little bit of both.


The top of St. Paul's Cathedral
Cliffs of Moher
Carrick-a-Rede
Hadrian's Wall


Arthur's Seat

In front of the Writer's Museum in Edinburgh


Until tomorrow,
Jazmin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut