Taming a Beast

Sunday, December 16, 2012

FINALS ARE OVER I CAN LIVE AGAIN HALLELUJAH GOD BLESS YE MERRY GENTLEMENEDGNJSDNGJSMORGANFREEMANEGNWNEG;WGW;RGB;.

Sorry.  I needed to get that out of my system.

I now have blessedly beautiful time to do more important things like read for six hours straight or blog about things that happen in my life that only my mom wants to hear about.

I leave for the 904 (Florida) tomorrow afternoon and it still hasn't hit me completely.  As much as I have missed home, I am going to desperately miss waking up to this.


That's right, my love affair with snow is still in full swing.  We've had some kinks in our relationship (I have fallen twice), but we've worked through those rough patches and our love has become stronger because of it.

My weekend consisted of snowmobiling for the first time, putting up the Christmas tree at my aunt and uncle's cabin, and reading more than two pages at a time of Les Miserables.*

Snowmobiling was quite the experience.  I went with two experts -- my uncle and his brother-in-law -- during a trip to my aunt and uncle's cabin.  Luckily, I got the chance to warm up to the beast that is the snowmobile the night before when there was too much snow to drive up the mountain any other way but the snowmobile way.

What made the "warm up" a tad stressful, though, was the fact that it was at night and I had no idea where the road ended and my imminent death began.  I did get used to the sensitive gas clutch eventually, which made the thought of death fade and brought excitement about the next day's 'mobiling trek to the surface.


While it did take me an hour to get used to the tricks of taming the beast and my arms are now drenched in soreness, I had a gloriously awesome time.  I got to absorb the beauty of the mountains covered in snow and the gorgeous animals that inhabit its crevices.  I also got to experience family, which was a wonderful thing in and of itself.

I'm sure my lack of mountain knowledge and my getting the snowmobile stuck a million and five times annoyed my Uncle Ken and my Might-As-Well-Be-My-Uncle Brett more than they let show**, but I'm glad they were there to annoy.  I haven't got to see much of family since Fall Semester started, but it's so nice to have them so nearby and so willing to include me in all of their adventures, even if I can rarely make it.  I am so fortunate to have some family and family-in-law-ish so nearby when I am so far from home.


*This semester has consisted of me attempting to read three books and finishing exactly none of them. At most, the number of pages I was able to read in one sitting probably amounted to six.

**I also flew off once*** and flipped the monster of a machine on a separate occasion from the flying one.

***This is not an exaggeration.  I literally flew, ladies and gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut