Faith In My Generation Sounds Sour To My Heart

Sunday, August 22, 2010

For everyone not reading this (everyone), I'm sorry for my lack of posting.  There was absolutely no way for me to post last week.  It was just full of Education Week at BYU classes, visiting family and friends, and, when I wasn't enjoying life on the other side of the Mississippi, I was passing out onto the rock-solid dorm bed from the exasperated exhaustion my body was pressing on my eyelids.

So, let me take you through my week.

We got to Utah about an hour earlier than we were supposed to, but it was all good.  It was a little after noon.  We met up with Abby and Hernando at Gardener's Village.  It was such a cute place.  We at lunch at this quirky restaurant, and I had this thing that was basically fish and chips (fries), but it had a different name that I can't remember.  The last syllable was "but" and I wish I could remember to make me seem less immature, but such is life.

We walked around the little stores, and I had my first Dad's Red Cream Soda it was quite sugary, but good, nonetheless.  Abby enforced my trying it, and she too purchased one.

We then went to Temple Square and did all that we could do there, besides go into the Temple.  I definitely appreciated the whole experience more, now that I have the mental capacity to do so (the last time I was there, I was eight).  I kind of got silently emotional about it.  I was really tired, and just lacking in some self-control, but no one noticed, and I just got to have that moment with myself and the model of the Temple inside the visitors center.  I just have--over these past two years--gained such strength from the story of the Pioneers.  I feel like, if they can do all of that, and still remain faithful and true, I have an easy life.  When I'm struggling with something, I think of them, and suddenly, my problems are minuscule and my complaints unnecessary.

We weren't expecting to do all of this in one day, but I was glad we did.

When we were done for the day, we headed to Payson to stay with my Uncle Ken and Aunt Shelley.  We hit the bed after talking to them for a bit.  It was one of the most exhausting days of my life, but I did get a start on my summer reading, since school was to start the next Monday (tomorrow).

Sunday, we went on a hike at Sundance with Shelley and Kassidee (my cousin), which wasn't too bad.  We got to the top via ski lift, and the whole thing was supposed to be downhill, but there were one or two hills that left us flat-landers breathless.  There were also some downhill parts that were a bit difficult to stay stable on due to the loose rocks beneath our feet.  I only fell twice, and caught myself before my butt hit the ground, but of course, both times had to occur when my athletic aunt and cousin were walking behind me.  Super.  Although, Kassi did fall once, which was definitely scary in my eyes, because as we found out upon our arrival, she is two months pregnant!  Excitement!  (The fact that she's pregnant, not the fall.  haha.)

We then met up with Ken, Eric (Kassi's brother/my cousin), his wife, Lauren, their semi-new daughter, Zooey, and Dresden (Kassi's husband who isn't the most sociable, happy-camper) at Deer Lake Park/Reservoir.

Okay, sue me.  I didn't have my Sabbath Day Observance.  I did feel somewhat bad about it, but I also didn't.  You're supposed to spend time with your family, and sometimes the only time to do so is on Sundays in ways that will bring you closer in your relationships, but maybe not so much with your spirituality.  So there.

Whilst tubing behind the boat, my mom and Eric kind of flew, and my mom tore up her shoulder.  It's not broken, but it's still hurting her a week later:/.  My tubing experience was "leisurely" as Eric kept saying during the venture.  I guess I conveyed anxiety beforehand when I said I didn't want to do it.  I was honestly only waiting to see how difficult it would be for others to get back into the boat--even with the ladder.

My last experience in trying to get back on a boat after tubing ended up with me somewhat mooning someone who I was trying to get to sponsor me for this medical forum I went to last summer.  Not my most elegant moment.

It's taken me about two hours to write this post.  I keep taking breaks.  I then debate about whether or not just to continue this post tomorrow.  Then, I realize that I'll probably be ranting about something tomorrow that takes away from the amazing time I had in Utah.

I realize this blog in its entirety is one of those "I did _____ today, and it made me feel ____."  Then, a paragraph is written dissecting the matter at hand.  I'm sure others would rather see some political post about who is running in the next election and how much they suck for little reasons or some philosophical ideas comparable to Aristotle's, but with a modern twist.  You may even just want me to post a bunch of gossip about those in my life and in the Hollywood scene, but no.  I'm writing to remember these days of my youth.  To remember who was there, what I ate, when I cried, when I laughed, when my hope and joy was at its highest peak.  This is why I'm writing this blog.

I'm just going to continue tomorrow with the aspects of my trip, and give you the 411 on my first day of school.  I need to take a shower and attempt slumber.

It's 12:50AM.  I have to get up to get ready for Seminary and the start of my junior year of high school at 5AM.  I have rarely ever slept more than an hour the night before school starts.

I started and finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.  I just have no idea what time I started and ended.  I really loved it, but I think my English teacher really needs a hug based on the things she makes us read.  They have never had happy endings.

Sweetdreams, reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut