Oh, Y Chromosome, How You Baffle Me.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

So, it's been approximately thirty-six hours since my last post. My bad. It's not like anyone else reads these. So, I think I'll let myself pass without any sort of punishment.

Yesterday, we basically hung around the house all day until 3pm and then we headed to that aforementioned little place where everything a town needs is. There were a few antique shops there that my grandma was interested in seeing, which is new to me, because I've never heard her even mention antiques in my entire existence.

It was actually pretty fun, though. It was like a thrift store with no clothes and everything seemed to be from the same time period. We went to two or three. The first one we went to was probably my favorite. All of the stores were set up in these old houses. The first one had each room set up like a normal room in a normal house. For example, the place where the kitchen presumably was had a dinner table set up and homemade jams and honey jars on the shelves of an old cupboard/pantry thing. It even had the original sink of the house. That was pretty nifty. The second one we went to, the first few rooms were just sort of things put into random sets with other things. I think that store was more of a consignment store. Once you got more towards the back, though, they had this little aisle/hall thing that you walked down, and on each side there was a bedroom set up with all of the things they had for sale. Most of them were bedroom-looking, anyways. There were a few that were just non-specific-looking rooms you'd find in a house. Not sure how to elaborate on that one. Sorry.

The third store we went to wasn't much of a store. It was supposedly a "vintage store" as the paint on the window said. It did have a few vintage items set up on random tables (there were about three of these tables in the whole room.) There was just the front room that was set up. When you looked into the back room, it just looked like someone just dumped a bunch of random things that they thought someone would enjoy, and left them unorganized on the floor. It looked like the place would crumble any minute. It was dusty and there were planks of wood on the floors of the back rooms. There were quite a few books on one of the three tables, but I wasn't too keen on digging through them. I was afraid of what I might find. The only things that looked clean, and I think they were the main thing this guy was trying to sell, were walking sticks that he and his supposed business partner had made. They were pretty cool, actually, but I was, again, too scared to dig deeper.

The non-questionable stores reminded me of Ikea, so that's probably the underlying reason why I liked them so much.

We went to the drugstore next to get some Claritin for yours truly. Esther had some cats over before we came, and I'm allergic. Joshua's Zyrtec hasn't been helping much, so I've been feeling like poop for the past couple of days. My grandma and I left Josh in the car with Esther, which I felt really bad about, because we finally established a definite understanding that we fear her equally. We took longer than I thought we would, too, because my grandma was looking at thank you cards and I was looking at all the random antique-looking things they had, which is a bit odd to have in a drugstore. I was also on the hunt for a magnet, but failed in that mission.

You see, dear reader, since I was a wee lass, every time my family and I have gone on our expeditions, we always bring back a magnet with the name of the place we went to on it. I'm not giving up hope just yet. I will find one.

We played cards a lot. SkipBo, Hand and Foot (The gma taught us to play, and it was quite complex), and square (Which was disastrous in explanation and execution. Way to go, Josh.) We also munched on a lot of junk food. By the time dinner and lunch rolled around, I was too full to eat much. Of course I felt bad about that, because the food was so delicious. None of the food we bought that first day we came has been touched. Andy has been cooking heavenly food since the second day we were here.

After our little shopping adventure, we went to Coltin's high school to look at the football stadium, for what reason is beyond my comprehension. We ended up catching the team as they were transporting their practice to another one of their fields, and for whatever reason, my grandma and Esther decided to shout out the window to Coltin.

Coltin came over for dinner later as he and his mom have been doing each night since we got here. Rocky (his step-dad) came for a night or two, as well. Mickalene and Rocky didn't come last night, so Josh and I were left by the old folk (haha) to entertain Coltin. It was a bit awkward. Gma, Josh, and I were going to continue our game of SkipBo after dinner, and Coltin watched, then, played a second and third game with us. Grandma went to bed, and we watched Eureka and Haven (both shows I'd never heard of, but they were pretty cool. Eureka kind of reminded me of Star Trek, but I only saw the end of it because I was in the shower.)

Speaking of which... you know how the water has been going off and on? Well, after Josh took his perfect little shower, it turned off when I had been in there for two seconds. It was great. So, being that my hair still had shampoo in it, I had to wash it out somehow. So, I used the jugs of water in the bathroom to finish up my shower. It was cold. Very cold.

Coltin wouldn't leave, which is my excuse for not writing my entry last night. Apologies.

I told him and Josh about my ice storm of a shower, after running out of the bathroom, shivering. This proceeded:

Joshua: Blah, blah, blah sympathy.

Coltin: Oh, yeah? You think that's cold?

Me: Yeah. Well, I have been sweating in this miserable heat all day.  So, it's quite a contrast with the cold.

Coltin: Pfffft, I'm macho, so I've had worse. Try playing football all day, and having your coach force you to jump into the iced bath for at least 60 seconds--because that sounds more macho than me saying one minute--Yeah, mine's worse. You're a wimp. I'm a man. I spit and chew tobacco. I watch and play sports more than anyone. I bench-press five times my body weight. I'm manly. Macho, macho, macho.

Me: -silent glaring-

I absolutely detest how those with Y chromosomes compute this way whilst another confides in them something they think was an awful experience. Life is not a competition. Shut your face and be sympathetic. Thank you!

-cough- Sorry. Just a bit of a pet peeve.

Well, reader, I'm off. We're supposed to go to this lake/beach thing that's surface is completely granite. I'm quite excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut