"Oh, what a day is today. Nothing can stand in my way..."

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yes, let's just cut to the chase.  I've missed a day or two.  On Sunday, Mother Nature decided to be bring a hateful visit.  When she visits, my body refuses to move.  Yesterday, I was on the road for about eight hours, and wanted nothing more than to talk to my mom and sleep.

Sunday, we didn't go to church because the water wouldn't work at all the night before, leaving us gross with lake water consuming our pores.  Also, the nearest LDS church was an hour and a half away, which would mean a three hour trip, which my grandma was too afraid to take because her car has so many miles on it.

We went to Rocky's mom's house, which was three stories (including the basement) and completely a-mazing.  The view of the lake alone was enough for me to want to buy the house.  They had just moved in about two weeks ago, and I wanted to move in with them, but they already had three people (Rocky's sister, mom and grandmother), so I figured it'd be a bit crowded.

We didn't stay for too long, but it felt like forever because of how much pain I was in.  My grandma didn't seem to get the hint when I wrote three texts to her asking when we were leaving.  She went outside to take a call instead of comprehending the message's meaning.  It was great.

Yesterday, we drove home.  I always hate the rides back from trips because I want nothing more than to be home, and I want to be there instantaneously... not eight hours later.  We actually got off our route which caused the trip to become about an hour or so longer than originally planned.

My cousin, Nathanael, passed his G.E.D. test (he's homeschooled), and we saw that his diploma was already framed when we dropped Joshua off (he had just received it in the mail that same day).  I was quite proud of him.  He said he'll be getting his mission call in about a week.

He kept nudging me in the same way I nudge my mommy when I want her attention, or if I just want to make sure she's there.  I put him on the spot about it, and he said that he's missed me and is going to miss me when he leaves.  Baww:).

Seeing him last night, it just seemed like he was no longer the little boy that I played with when I was a kid.  He has been a legal adult for some time now, and he's had the stature of an adult for a few years, but I always refused to see him as anything other than my little cousin (even if he is three years my senior.)

Growing up, it always bugged me that he looked up to my brother, Sean, so much, and didn't really give me the time of day.  Well, at least, that's how my little mind perceived it.

I always hurt when he wanted to play video games with Sean, rather than play toys or basketball with Nicholas and I.  Back then, I always felt closer to Nicholas and Joshua (his brothers), and when Tosha (their sister) was born, she was attached to Sean, too.  This distorted my view that, "Oh, Sean is the oldest boy, and Nathanael, being the second oldest, just wants to be as cool as his older cousin."  Even on my paternal side of the family, I felt as though Sean was the favorite.  The fact that Nathanael would rather play with him was just heartbreaking, in my eyes.

As he got older, and Sean was led more and more down the wrong path, I was always afraid that Nathanael, Nicholas, Joshua, and Tosha still were looking up to him; still wanting to following every step he took.

They were just so isolated with the three of the boys being homeschooled and not having much of an outlet to the outside world besides the television.  It has always worried me.  I've always been scared that they'd be gullible and come across the wrong people or wrong place without realizing it before it was too late.  I was always afraid they perceived things in the way that the media would present them.

Sure, Nathanael has gotten his Eagle, and got his diploma, but so did Sean.  That thought was, regrettably, always in the back of my mind.  They accomplished this or that, but so did Sean.  He still fell.  He still diminished into someone who was no longer the Jem to my Scout.  He hurt our family, and I have always been afraid that Nathanael and his siblings would face the same downfall.

Seeing Nathanael last night, in a new light--a light that showed the strong testimony and armor of God that he possesses-- made all of my worry disappear.  He is doing something that I can't say Sean did.  He is, willingly, taking two years of his life and devoting them to serving his Heavenly Father and following in his Savior's footsteps.  He is setting the example that I always wanted my brother to set for me.  I've never been more proud of anyone.  Sure, I'm going to miss him like crazy, and I love him so much, but what he is doing, and what joy that brings to my heart, I can't even describe.

Whenever and wherever he is sent, that part of the world will become my second favorite place in the world (if he isn't sent to Scotland, obviously.)

I hate that I didn't spend a lot of time with him this summer, but I love how much closer we've become over these past couple of years.

I love you, Elder King, and I know you'll make me proud.


Sweetdreams, reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut