Reflecting Gratitude

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gratitude has been a topic of discussion in my head.  While that may sound like the words of a person with dissociative identity disorder, it's true.  [Please, don't take that the wrong way.]

The beautiful, inspiring words of President Monson and Elder Holland have inflamed my spirit to do something.  To say thank you, even in the simplest of moments.  To show gratitude through not only words, but actions.  While I actually was asleep (I believe) during Elder Holland's words, I came across them on one of my talk/article readings.  Emma said the actual deliverance of the talk was even more moving and emotionally and spiritually powerful.  I am thankful to have a continued knowledge of my Heavenly Father's plan for me.  I am thankful to have the guidance I need in order to endure these latter-days.

I've actually shocked my mom a few times when I have said thank you.  She continually responds with, "For what?"  Then, I get embarrassed because it was something so minute.  Then, the thought of Christ enters my thoughts.  Never embarrassed.  Always open with His love and gratitude.  I am then filled with a sense of duty.  A duty that requires me to always go the extra mile, and always be vocal about my gratitude.  A duty that should not be overshadowed by fickle feelings that cause me to want to take back my vulnerability.

So, reader, in the spirit of this time of year, I am grateful for Christ.  I am grateful that every situation I am dealing with, every heartache and hard time I face, can be related back to a parable the Savior taught or to the beautifully cliched, "What would Jesus do?"  I am grateful that He and my Heavenly Father provide me with strength to face adversity with my head held high, and my heart completely open.

Today, I confronted my aforementioned friend who had been keeping things from me, and instead of lashing out, she was surprised.  Surprised about how much I cared.  With shaking hands, tears welling in my eyes [like a little girl], I told her exactly what I was feeling, and she welcomed my vulnerability with a hug and an "Aw."  I'm grateful that the Spirit provided me with a voice.  I am thankful He made the words I wanted to say so simply clear and loving.

Today, my dear friend, Adam, found out that his aunt had passed away.  She left behind two sons.  One in college.  One who is only thirteen.  She also left her husband, who was just about to be home for good.  He is a merchant marine (I believe), and was just about to retire.  I am grateful for my mother.  I am grateful for my father.  I am grateful to still have my grandmother who still loves and cares about me so much.

I am grateful to have been born into the Knowledge, and to know for myself, that Someone cares.  Someone knows.  Someone loves me with such tender mercy that I am given a second chance when I fall short.  Someone has given me Their all, Their everything, so that I may be blessed with a beautiful, incomparable life after this time full of tribulation and growth.

Someone is my Heavenly Father.  Someone is my Savior and Redeemer.

I am grateful, reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut