Youtube in my Life

Monday, April 4, 2011

So, procrastination and I have a pretty tight-knit relationship.  We never let each other down.   Hence my writing this post at 10:57pm.  I actually don't have a topic planned out.  So, this should be fun.

I recently attended Playlist Live.  At first, the level of awkwardness was nauseating as my friend, Alexis, and I approached Hayley Hoover, Jason Munday, and Mike Lombardo for a picture, but after that, it got progressively easier to talk to these people that I have admired for the passed two and a half years.  I actually had a great conversation with Hayley the next day that lasted about fifteen minutes.  I felt like it atoned for the day before's embarrassing encounter with her.

What I love about Youtube is that the people you admire are actually tangible in the sense that it's not exactly impossible for you to meet and form friendships with them.  I think that has a lot to do with the fact that these people are actually genuine and sincere.  They are open to friendships that form through internet-relations and don't think that everyone that wants to talk to them on the internet is a rapist.

The more I have gotten into Youtube, the more I've been more accepting of people, especially through the Nerdfighter community.  I think it's also helped me to seek out friends that are more accepting and understanding of me and my lifestyle.

My friend from Playlist, Ruth, posted a video today for her VEDA talking about the oddity that Youtubing is to those who are not a part of the community.  I can honestly say that I have never felt like an outcast for my involvement with the Youtube community, both when I didn't make videos and when I did.  My friends at school and church and my family have all been very supportive and kind of involved with my Youtube channel.  It's really an awesome thing, especially when I need advice on how to better my videos, when I'm coming up with new ideas, or when I want to do something that's more collaborative.  Not all of those ideas have come into play yet, but they will;).

Until about seveth grade, my friends were actually kind of harsh (with a few exceptions, of course).  They weren't generally supportive or understanding.  Why I was friends with them is beyond me.  They were honestly more bullies than friends, but that's another story for another time.  Those "friends" used to make me feel bad for being myself.  I cannot tell you how many times I would change my opinion just for the sake of "fitting in" in a school week.  Until I found the vlogbrothers and other amazingly wonderful Youtubers, I really didn't know the type of person I was anymore because I had changed to fit the protocol of those around me so many times. 

I am so grateful for Youtube.  It has helped me to accept me.

I am so grateful for those who support my Youtube endeavors (no matter how lacking they can be in quality).  They have helped me to be more open and honest.

Happy dreams, reader:).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut