Letters to August - 17

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Dear August,

Luckily, I realized early on that my mom knew a lot more about life than I did.  Sure, I had my moments of hormonal angst, but I always came out of the argument recognizing that I was being a brat (even if I still didn't openly admit it) and just needed to stop.  From that early realization, my mom and I were freed from the relationship that most mothers and daughters have while living in the same household, and just skipped to the best friends stage.

As I have moved away and have been able to meet so many different people from different places, I've realized how unique of a relationship my mom and I actually have.  I've realized even more just how incredible of a woman she is.

I have lost count of all the conversations I've had with people where I ask "Well, what did your mom say when you told her?" and they just look at me, dumbfounded.  Like I was the crazy one for telling my mother everything.  Maybe I am, but I've never regretted it.  Even in those times where I feel like I've done or said something that would disappoint her, I still tell her and she just pulls some incredible words of love and encouragement out of that noggin of hers.

In friendships I've had at school, in doing the Disney College Program, and just in my everyday I see the influence that mothers could have if they just listened and loved rather than neglecting and seeking control over their children.

I am so grateful to have a mother who talks with me and not at me.  I am so grateful for her desire to understand me and her complete empathy when I come to her with whatever is weighing on my shoulders.

I have witnessed so many parents trying to perfect their children rather than seeing the perfect that is already in them and helping it blossom with encouragement and complete love.  My mom is such a pro at that.  She has such faith in me and what I am capable of and that is so comforting in a world that screams words of failure at me.

I really hope I can be the mother for my children that she is to me.  Those would be some darn lucky kids.

Love,
Jazmin

P.S. This talk by Elder Ballard explains what mothers should be (and what my mother was and is for me) much more eloquently than I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut