Letters to August - 7 - Cassie

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Dear August,

It has only been 7 days into your month and already I can see the impact that you will be making in my life. My current routine has been uprooted. In a sense it is liberating; in a sense it is the key to my incarnation. I feel as though I am free because my daily schedule is now nothing but what I chose it to be. I feel confined because I don't trust myself enough with the responsibility to fill my days with constructive activities. I do suppose, with my schooling coming up in September, I can manage to compel myself into preparing for my move back to campus, but in all reality I will probably put that off until the last weeks.
Is it wrong to want to be slothful? Somedays I find joy in just silently sitting either on my bed or couch and just staring at the wall, reading a book, or listening to the background noise of my family members.
I have been a victim to the clock for the duration of the summer. I feel as though in this last summer month I may be at the choosing to have the cliched "summer nights". This being, long warm days filled with sun and laughter. Of course, this mythed delusion of how summer ought to be wouldn't be complete without the lake water hair and some slick chromed prince.
But I don't want any of the typical young girls summer. I want something so simple it is almost pathetic. I want nothing more than to be with the ones that I love and the ones that love me. No, I am not talking about the high school senior pact where everyone promises to love each other forever. I'm talking specifically about my family. From now until the time I return to school I want to spend time with the people who propelled me into being the person that I am today. I want to grow and learn from them in what little time we have left with one another. Summer should really be spent that way. Not so much a time for forgetting all of your prior schooling and responsibilities, but more as a time to reconnect with the people who got you to where you are today and who are ready to guide you for tomorrow.

Cassandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut