Letters to August - 23

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Dear August,

Today I am especially grateful for Jesus Christ and the healing power of His Atonement.  I have seen it in my own life and I have been blessed to see it shine on the life of my loved ones who had fallen from the rays of its light.

I don't know that I talk about my earthly father often enough.  He is a great man.  He is half of the goofy that made my brother and myself.  He gave me my curly hair and my sensitive heart.  He is so smart and is capable of so much I don't think he has ever realized.

My dad was my best guy when I was little.  He and I spent every afternoon together.  He stayed at home while my mom worked during the day and then he would go be a superstar at night playing his music, but when he was home he was all there.  He was my pal as I would sit on his big belly and watch football with him.  He was my pal when he would play the guitar and teach me songs from his youth and as he would learn my favorite song of the day.  He was my pal when I wanted to be a softball superstar and he would play catch with me.  He was my pal for so many days of my childhood, but then he suddenly wasn't.  I lost him for a long time, but the Atonement of Jesus Christ has allowed us both to heal and come back to each other.

Christ knows my pains and he knows my dad's.  He knows how to mend each of our broken vessels and forgive the scratches and dents we have made in our spirits.  He has given me -- and continues to give me -- my father back, piece by piece, as they work together to do so.

The Atonement is there for each of us if we just lay our burdens at the Master's feet, promise to do better, and then get up and do better.  It may seem difficult, but it is always possible with the Lord on our side. He is on our side if we allow Him to be.

Though we may feel we are "like a broken vessel" we must remember that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter. - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

I am so grateful for what He is molding my dad and me to be.



Love,
Jazmin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut