Letters to August - 12

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dear August,

I love memories.  I really thrive on them -- remembering them, creating them, and saving them in whatever way I can.

As much as I whine and moan about how much I hate technology, I am also really grateful for it.  I'm not sure how I could get by without all the pictures and the ridiculous videos I have taken and made.  I would probably be an even worse pack rat than I have been in the past and nobody wants that.  I'm grateful for the digital age that allows me to clean out my storage closet and take advantage of my digital storage.

It was so painful for me (physically, mentally, emotionally, and maybe even spiritually) to get rid of so many things once I moved out to college.  I had saved so many notes and quotes and random pieces of confetti because I thought those things were what would help me remember those moments.  I thought I needed to remember the specifics of that time that one person said that one thing that changed my whole day.  I thought I needed the cupcake tin that my mom and cousin put a snack pack of sugar free jello in for my thirteenth birthday in Alabama.  I thought I needed all of those church programs that I saved from so many meetings.  I thought I needed that page full of doodles I made at the end of the day one day in fourth grade when I learned how to make those fancy S's.

When it came down to it, I really didn't remember where half of the things in all of those boxes came from.  The items did not matter as much as the people.  They did not matter as much as the feelings I felt in those moments.  They never do.  The things I carry in my heart always carry so much more than a random piece of string that I found when that moment was happening.  Sure, the string has more meaning because of that moment, but whether the string is in the boxes in my closet or in my trashcan, that moment will never disappear.

While I'll probably always take too many pictures and make amateur youtube videos (that I'll later regret) I am really trying to just be in the moment.  I really want to just let the moment itself be my little souvenir in my little box in my overly-nostalgic heart.

It's not as easy as it sounds.

Love,
Jazmin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut