Letters to August - 15 - Mariangel

Friday, August 15, 2014

Dear August, 

When Jazmin asked me if I would like to write a letter I felt truly honored, and happily accepted.  As I sat and thought about what I should share with you my thoughts went everywhere, yet they ended up nowhere.  I had NO CLUE what I should say.  Then panic set in.  “My dear friend (who is an absolutely AMAZING writer) has trusted me, and let me be a part of something that is important to her.  I am totally going to let her down!  WHY WOULD I AGREE TO THIS?  That’s when it hit me, like a volleyball to the face (and yes, I know what that feels like).  Jazmin isn’t going to care what I write.  Our friendship has reached the point of no return.  We have let all guards down.  I can (and often do) tell her everything that’s on my mind.  I am lucky to have many friends like this and today, August, you are one of them.  Lucky YOU! 

I often tell my friends things, like “You need to smile!” or “You might have to look a little harder in some places, but there is beauty all around us.” or “No matter how bad life gets, you can always find something about it that’s good.” Etc.  I laugh at the thought of me sounding like one of those cheesy sayings that come in a fortune cookie.  But the truth is, I like cheesy (and I’m NOT just talking about pizza)!  I was not always the optimistic gal who is sitting here today.   

When I look back at where I was two years ago, I can see a major change in myself.  I was just an average teenage girl attending BYU.  My faith was wavering.  I certainly did not have the best attitude, and I was knowingly making poor choices.  

Today, I am still nowhere near perfect, but I can smile and say that I am happy.  I know without a doubt that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father.  I know that He cares for me personally.  I can see his hand in my daily life.  I sometimes find myself in awe at the beauty of this world that He has created for us, but what truly amazes me are the people.  The Lord has placed so many wonderful people in my path who have all helped me become the person I am today.  When I think of my family and friends I know that no matter how bad I think my life is, there is so much about it that is good.  It’s true that you might encounter some people that require you to look a little harder, but we are all creations of our Heavenly Father and there is beauty in us all.  I know that if I continue to make an effort to look at others through the Lord’s eyes, I will always have a reason to smile.

Much love, 

Mariangel

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut